Sunday, August 16, 2009

The first display is done

The display is over, and yes, it is only the first display. In a month there is another display, so the gloves will be put out for that. Beyond that? Time will tell.

I managed to get the first gauntlet sewn together, with the backing of linen. Didn't get enough bobbin lace finished to put on the gauntlet, and the glove didn't get quite finished. I had machine sewn it, and in the turning it was a pain. In fact, it didn't fully turn, the tips of two fingers were knots. The stitch was stressed and gaps developed. I know that I will have to take the glove apart and resew it, probably by hand.

I also went back to the perfume samples. I went ahead and added the oil to the jasmine mix and tested two more samples. I found that once the oil was put to the leather on top of the rosewater, that the jasmine became my favorite, it pulled together all the scents.

I did take pictures and will post as soon as I dig out the camera. To give you an idea of the layout, I had the unfinished gauntlet in frame on an easel to the left rear, move to the center/right center was a middle level support with the glove pieces. The right rear corner was a stack pedestal with the nearly finished gauntlet, wrist ruff and glove. One the front row of the table started with the bolster pillow with the bobbin lace, next the sewing basket and supplies and the spangles. On the right front I had slipped one of the round lids under the table cloth, creating a slight raised area for the perfume stuff. There were the whole cloves, cinnamon sticks and roses around the cruet with rose water, two jars of perfume oils and perfumed leather samples. I did have my turned bobbins there as well. I did feel like it was a complete display, though I would have rather had at least one completed glove, rather than the cobbled thing I had.

Therefore, my first goal in the next month is to complete that glove/gauntlet. I'd like to finish the second one as well, but won't be devastated if it doesn't come together. To tonight, after spending most of the day sleeping I'm ready to pull out the lace and work on that, so I can get the lace down for the gloves.

No comments:

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait