Sunday, February 26, 2012

The decluttering continues

I spent the weekend in my storage room, sorting through fabric, miscellaneous sewing supplies, SCA costumes and so on. The room had been a jumble with boxes all over the place, and I only had a minimum clue where anything was. I went through all the boxes, pulling out the scraps of cotton and linen to send to a friend who is making paper over the summer, and then sorting all the fabric into boxes of like fabric, so all my wool is together, as is the linen, cotton prints/modern choices and fantasy fabrics.

It made me realize I had lots more useful fabrics than I thought I had, and it was really good to put my hands on these fabrics to see and know them again. I was also very good at culling the bits of fabric that I don't think I'll ever use. I then went through the last of SCA garb that I had still there, to verify that I wanted to keep it and if not, trash it. I'd already done two passes of SCA friends through the boxes until what was left really wasn't useful for anyone.

For all of that, I have five boxes full of fabric, two boxes with sewing supplies and miscellaneous stuff, one box of ground and cover clothes, one and a half boxes of SCA garb left in there, as well as one and a half box worth of "quality" fabric clothing that I will never be able to wear. I think I'll try to go back tomorrow and go through that box again and see if i can reduce it to one box. I suspect that I'll do something like removing synthetic linings from some jackets and pants. I still think I can take those wool pants, slash and layer them for a great Landsknetch look. well, we will see.

for now, I'm going to kick back with a book and relax, knowing that I did a lot of work, and made great progress. I'm hoping that I will soon be able to bring my sewing things home, and let the storage room go, I so don't need this bill...

alex

No comments:

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait