Tuesday, June 2, 2009

bobbinlace!

I was good at the meeting last night and worked on the silver leaves on the second gauntlet, so that work is starting to happen. it wasn't a lot, but every little bit... It was late and I was tired when I got home so I didn't want to pull it out again, so I picked up the bobbinlace stuff. I mean the pillow is right there and, and... next thing I knew it was after midnight and I could barely hold my eyes open! I figured out another ground stitch, one I had already did, though I didn't have a name for it and started on another, being maiden's net? I got the first line of the pattern done, but could tell the next wasn't working so I undid that which was wrong and left it for tonight. I am finding it very easy to pick up, though I still feel like what I've done so far is rather...messy? not as tight as it could be? Still, it's fun. I also now have four sets of bobbins on the cookie pillow. I figure that I should leave all of them on the pillow, just to show how the different weights work and be available for people to try them out. Since it's all practice pieces and nothing I ever expect to keep I don't have a problem if someone wants to do a few twists or whatever.

yesterday I came up with some ideas on doing some art for the house, involving the SCA/A&S stuff I've done and am doing. The first is a shadow box type thing with a gilded framed copy of Lotto's painting that was the inspiration for Lucretia, with Lucretia sitting off to the side of it. I don't know that I'll include anything else in, but we will see. I also have to determine if there will a background fabric/paint/texture. The second one I'm thinking about is a reproduction of one of the lacemaker paintings, put into a black velvet frame that is wide enough for a lace border to either be tacked or pinned to. The lace strip will then trail to a pillow at the bottom complete with a pins, pricking and bobbins.

anyway, other than putting together the notes for my classes (they are in two weeks!) that's what's on my plate right now.

No comments:

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait