Sunday, June 28, 2009

Back on track with the gloves

After practising some impressive acts of procrastination, I'm back on track with my gloves. I managed an eight hour session yesterday and four earlier today with the embroidery. I finished a bunch of pearls and lots of the purl on the center tabs of the first gauntlet. I'm going for some more time with the embroidery, though I may switch to the other frame and work on the background embroidery.
I also have the first of several books for glove making. It's the mainstream version of glove making, but I believe it's a good starting point. I also took some sample measurements from the gloves in the glove museum. I bumped the images up to match my wrist measurement and went from there. I have some other notes on the design basics of the gloves so later this week I should be able to sit down and plan out the gloves. I have also thought that I should try and make a model of my hand to work the fittings on. So far I'm thinking a frame work of dowel rods with a sand fill that fits into the duct tape double that I will make off of my right hand. Maybe for my display I might try one of those kits for making plaster casts of baby hands. I just can't see working with the plaster casts, the way the stuff flakes, leaves dust behind, not to mention the possibility of accidentally dropping and breaking the thing.
I also have the bobbin drawings to make up the templates for turning later this week with Mom, so things are moving along.

No comments:

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait