Saturday, July 4, 2009

Bobbins and purl embroidery, oh my!!!

Yesterday was my turning lesson with mom. She had the wood there that she'd ordered for me, and gave me the run down on how to do it, and started the first bobbin, before turning it over to me. It was kewl!! Then we marked up the second half of the first stick and put it to the lathe and I was on my own. I did it too. it was beautiful, right up until I went to cut it off, and the shaft snapped. But I did two nearly identical bobbins!!! Mom also helped out by giving me a couple of her old tools to get started with (goes well with the old lathe that she gave me a few years ago, so, all I have to do is clear out the garage and find a place to work on the lathe and I'm set!!! She also gave me a couple of other things that I could possible turn some hollow things, like boxes for the spangles and such. The biggest challenge after getting up and running will be sharpening the tools. I haven't a bench grinder, so that's on my list, as is a band saw and a drill press.
While I thought I'd come home and set to turning today with a sinus headache I decided I wasn't up to the garage in this heat. So I ran and got replacement needles and set to working on the purl again. I think with just a couple of hours, I may finish the purl on the first gauntlet. I'm thinking of pulling at the brass sheet and playing with making spangles too today. I've had the day mostly to myself, so it's been fun.

Also just received the last glove book (I suspect yesterday but was that a holiday? I don't know, It was just there when I went looking, Maybe the day before? if I'd know that, I wouldn't have been at seaworld then!!) There is some excellent information regarding the gloves, things like a few measurements mentioned, commonalities, some I had noticed, one or two I hadn't and of course, there's the idea of inserting card stock behind the embroidery to hold it up if it weights too much to do so on it's own.

Anyway, I'm back to work in the hot living room, so I don't fall asleep in the nice ac as has been my wont of late.

No comments:

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait