Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I HAVE LEATHER

I offered up sewing services in exchange for some leather and a friend came through! I not only have some basic tan leather in hand, I also have some faux suede stuff for the practice gloves. There's a bit of concern that the leather may be too heavy, but the piece is fairly supple, so maybe I can do this. I was already planning to cheat with the punching of sewing holes by running the leather through the sewing machine without thread. This leather makes that mandatory, or I'd never be able to get through the sewing of it. We had a laugh over the whole from beginning to end of the project, that it wasn't really a good project unless I was involved with the insemination of the sheep, raised it, butchered, and tanned the leather for the gloves - points must be taken off! I'm willing to go to extremes to do this right, but I think I have to draw the line. Both Haraldr and Czina both offered up red leather that is much thinner and would be better, but urgh! I have to have tan, white or buff leather. Of course, I could attempt a dye job, but I don't think I can get lighter on this leather. And it looks right with the gauntlets.

well, time to go finish that first gauntlet- at least the purl work!!!

Progress!!!! YAY!!!!

No comments:

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait

Dürer, Albrecht: Self-Portrait